Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Settling Jabez

Jabez was more honorable than his brothers. His mother had named him Jabez, saying, "I gave birth to him in pain." Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, "Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain." And God granted his request.

1 Chronicles 4:9,10

First Chronicles begins with nine chapters of genealogy. It is a refresher course to people returning to Jerusalem after 70 years of Babylonian exile. It reminded them that they were all connected through Jacob and his sons. It is a much-needed encouragement to people trying to reclaim a promise made to their forefathers.

These genealogies are incomplete in places and seem to favor highlighting notable figures. Tucked within this family tree a few stories, mostly about battles. The stories seem to have the same purpose as the genealogy as a whole. They say, "This is who you are. This is how God deals with Israel."

In the last few years the most famous section, the only one paid any attention by most Christians, has been the two verses about Jabez and his prayer. This is thanks mostly to the mega-huge best-seller book by Bruce Wilkinson. Some claimed that it was a book pushing the "Health and Wealth" gospel. I never read it, so I cannot comment.

I am begrudgingly reading a Rick Warren book called "God's Answers to Life's Difficult Questions". I find the book annoying for several reasons, mostly because there is constant eisogesis going on. He tells us about the emotional well-being of Bible characters like he is their personal shrink.

He has a chapter about striving to be above average where Jabez gets set up as the example to follow. He is praised as a man who had 1. Great Ambition 2. Growing Faith and 3. Genuine Prayer.

I don't know if all that is true. What I do know is that he prayed for more land and less pain was granted that prayer. A man whose name meant pain was eventually kept form pain. And I know he was honorable.

He had the faith to ask God, and God gave. I might not go as far as Rick Warren who said "If you combine the three requests that Jabez prayed for, I guarantee that you will live above average." But I will say that is always encouraging to see someone blessed, because they prayed.

Maybe it's selfish. Maybe it is immature. But protection and wealth are still powerful motivators. I'd bet that those returning to Jerusalem would feel the same way.

But we must be careful not confuse faithfulness as some sort of guarantee for what most would call success. Hebrews 11 shows how diverse the results of our faith can be:

1. The Good results:
32 And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel and the prophets, 33 who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions, 34 quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies. 35 Women received back their dead, raised to life again.

2. The Not-So-Good results:

Others were tortured and refused to be released, so that they might gain a better resurrection. 36 Some faced jeers and flogging, while still others were chained and put in prison. 37 They were stoned ; they were sawed in two; they were put to death by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated— 38 the world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, and in caves and holes in the ground.

Because of Daniel's faith, he was saved from the lions. Because of the early Christians faith, they were killed by lions in the arena. Sometimes God saves people from pain due to their faith. Other times they are tortured and die for their faith.

Jabez prayed for wealth and protection and got it. Others have prayed with equal faith and been denied.

I guess the question is this: Do you have the faith to pray knowing that He might say yes or no, may rescue you or let you be share in suffering, may provide or let you scrape?

2 comments:

Sam said...

You bring up a great question. People always say, "Prayer works." But what if it never seems to "work" for me? What if God doesn't prove Himself faithful (at least in my eyes)? Can I still worship this kind of God? These are the sorts of questions that often plague searching people, myself included.

shannoncaroland said...

This is what I think. I think that person is the exception and not the rule. Most people I know who give themselves over to prayer can point to many instances where God delivered the goods.

To the person who did not see the results I would probably point them to 2 Corinthians 12:9, his grace is sufficient.

It seems that that God tests some people in this way, and not others. The test is an invitation to a level (or maybe type) of faithfulness that not everyone gets to reach.