Monday, October 8, 2007

"I am confident that we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth."

For the article my thoughts are referring to, go check out CNN's article Obama: GOP doesn't own faith and values.

My initial thoughts upon hearing that we can create a kingdom here on earth were ones of excitement and anticipation. I love hearing those thoughts expressed. Finally, more are starting to realize that Christianity is not just about getting our ticket punched so that we can get into heaven. It is more than that. The message of the kingdom of God is the gospel, and it is starting to gain more popularity.

But then it disturbed me. Is the kingdom going to be brought about through political means? Will the kingdom of God be brought about by a politician? My impulsive reaction to those questions is a negative; however, I do not see why a politician cannot be used by God to bring more fully his kingdom here on earth. He was expressing those thoughts in a church and not in the White House. Forcing the kingdom and changing people's hearts into being citizens of the kingdom is a very dangerous line that should not be crossed, but it seems that God often resides in that which is dangerous.

"Obama noted that he was pleased leaders in the evangelical community like T.D. Jakes and Rick Warren were beginning to discuss social justice issues like AIDS and poverty in ways evangelicals were not doing before."

I am also pleased that pastors are beginning to discuss that social justice issues matter. The problem I have is that one political party focuses on issues of social justice while the other party focuses on issues of social morality. I would like a party that did not separate the two. It should not be an either/or but a both/and. We should not have to go into the ballot box and vote for one or the other.

The thing I find most perplexing is that I have to decide when I vote what is more important: social justice or social morality. I hate making that decision. It is not a decision that should have to be made. And I really do not know how to make it.

4 comments:

Sam said...

The decision between social justice versus social morality is really the outcome of a particular view of God - God as Loving or God as Holy. The more I ponder it the more I realize it is an unsolvable mystery. And choosing one above the other is not the solution either.

I will say this for the GOP. They, like Christian leaders, are beginning to take a bigger interest in social justice. Hopefully this will lead to better candidates from which to choose. We shall see...

Regan Clem said...

George Bush did run for office as a "compassionate conservative". Sadly, I think that was just spin.

shannoncaroland said...

Just spin? Tell that to the folks at Guantanamo Bay. They have felt his compassion. (allegedly)

Am I wrong in understanding that Obama is Muslim? That would complicate the Kingdom langauge a bit.

Regan Clem said...

I think he is in big trouble in this regard because many people out there believe that he is Muslim. I have had conversations with people in my church on this topic, so I did some research on this a while back. But people continue to carry their misperceptions around despite being told the truth. I have heard the same people that I explained to that Obama was not a Muslim tell others that he is a Muslim. Some times I think truth does not matter.

He did grow up with his Muslim step-father and went to Muslim schools in Jakarta for a few years. At some point at around 10 (and I cannot find out why), he was sent back to the United States to live with his grandparents.

Obviously, he experienced some Muslim traditions with his step-father, but he claims to be a Christian now and has claimed that for a long while. He has been involved in his church in Chicago for years now.

Snopes has a great article on this topic: http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/muslim.asp