Friday, November 14, 2008

The Great Spiritual Questions

I find myself being more theological than faithful at times. I am ready to join in on a discussion on whether God knows the future, is the King James Version a better translation, why did God create a system of substitutionary atonement, or any other such grand theological conversation. But in the end, they all seem to be distractions to what really matters.

"Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life" (Revelation 2:10).

None of the answers to the "great" theological questions really change whether I am faithful or not. They do not influence whether I give up Christ for a drunken orgy, my own personal financial gain, or a night of television. I can argue, and even have the right answers, but it really does not matter in the grand spiritual panorama.

Maybe those sort of discussions have some sort of role, but they should never move into the realm of spirituality. They are purely matters of trivia and debate. What really matters is whether I love my neighbor, am I faithfully living out what I know I need to live out, and am I helping shine the light of God. Great theological consistency is never a substitute for faithful living.

1 comment:

Barry said...

"They are purely matters of trivia and debate."
Purely? I think at most I'd say they can "become purely" matters of trivia and debate. But, although I don't believe a persons view on any of those subjects is usually a matter of salvation, the answers can have a huge impact on our motivation and ability to best live the life.