Monday, August 18, 2008

Darrell Green and His Hall of Fame Induction Speech

On August 2, Darrell Green was inducted into the football hall of fame. I heard his speech while driving home from work that night. I was utterly disgusted. Here is what he said:

I believe that this day is a part of the continuation of God's sovereign purpose and righteous destiny for my life. And that being knowing Jesus, loving him and making him known. I did that even as a professional football player everywhere I went.

And that was done through the visibility, the influence, the access, all that God gives us, the Lord gives us, while we play a childhood game.

Can I tell you today at the expense of sounding real self righteous, I belong here. I belong here. I belong here.

I belong here because I know what to do with it. I know what to do with God's fame, with God's dollars, with God's visibility, God's influence and relationships. I know what to do with it.

To Jesus be the glory. Thank you. Bless you.

8 comments:

shannoncaroland said...

disgusted?

Regan Clem said...

yes. Maybe it was the words combined with the attitude in his voice.

Sam said...

I think I know, but if you could expound upon exactly what disgusted you I would appreciate it.

Barry said...

From just the quote i'd say pretty impressive. Good for him.

Regan Clem said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Regan Clem said...

His lack of humility.

"I deserve this."

What the crap. We all deserve to be killed and go to hell. It is only by grace that we receive anything.

Regan Clem said...

And he was talking that he deserved it because he was a spiritual powerhouse, not because of his athletic talents and hard work.

Regan Clem said...

But I must admit that reading just the text in a different tone than I remember him speaking it does not come across as negatively as it did live.