Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Chase 23

It is a challenge to read a portion of the Bible that we have heard/read hundreds of times. But that is what I was attempting to do with the Twenty-third Psalm.

I have read this passage a billion times, give or take a hundred million, so this was difficult. I had always read this Psalm as a comfort, reminder that God is taking care of things. This is, of course true, and a big reason it is by far the most-read passage at funerals.

But as I read this passage over and over again, a new theme rose from the page. I began to see them as the words of a believer who had returned from rebellion. A song for the soundtrack of Luke 15, if you will.

YHWH is shepherd: the one who gathers me from wayward wanderings.

I don’t need (lack, want) a thing: perhaps a confession of someone who had gone searching from something more.

He renews my strength, leads me in righteous paths: the words of someone who had exhausted himself on the path of unrighteousness.

Even walking through the valley of Death’s Shadow, I’ll not fear for you are with me: There is no place that he won't go in order to find us and bring us home.

Your rod and staff comfort me: The jab of his rod and the yank of his hook are a comfort, because it is his discipline which keeps me from returning to such undesirable places.

You feed me right in my enemies' faces, anointing my head, overflowing my cup: Not a bad place for a guy who had recently strayed from God into Death Shadow.

Without doubt, goodness and mercy will never let off my trail: Good news for a proven wanderer. And this is the kind astounding realization someone might have if they have had their relationship with God restored.

I will live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life: Thanks to his sheepdog-like pursuit, I’m not ever leaving again.

No comments: