Monday, November 5, 2007

The Amish

Over the next few weeks, I am going to share some of the information that I am learning in regards to the Amish. I hope you find it as interesting, challenging, and inspiring as I did.

This information is from the book Amish Roots edited by John Hostetler, a collection of various original writings from Amish or about Amish over a variety of topics. It was Hostetler's intention “to enable the reader to comprehend the lifeways of the Amish people. Reading the literary works of the Amish instead of the generalizations made by others about them has its rewards (xi).

"The Amish emerged 168 years after the founding of the Swiss Anabaptists, and in the social context of decadent Swiss congregations that were surviving in remote rural areas. Jacob Amman's confrontations with fellow elders called for greater separation from the world, more stringent dress and grooming practices, and the expulsion of apostate members. No record is left of any Amish leaders who had ever attended university or had ever been pastors in state churches. The leaders were farmers and craftsmen who lived in the hinterlands wit the Bible, the hymn book , and the martyr book as their main sources of inspiration" (xii)

On of the letters in the book stood out from the rest. "Ninety-five percent of the Amish who were drafted chose conscientious objector status and were assigned to Civilian Public Service camps to 'perform work of national importance'...A minority of the Amish refused to report for civilian work. To accept governmental orders to work in 'worldly' places away from their family and community was as threatening as military service." The following excerpts are from a letter written by one of those who went to jail for refusing to serve in civilian work during World War II.

"When I was a boy, one bit of advice was branded in my conscience. It was this: 'In case of doubt, it is best for a Christian to choose the course that goes hardest against his nature or desires.'"

"While I was in the gym one day watching others play a game, an inmate came over and slapped me across the face. It took me by surprise and I didn't know why it was done. At once the prisoner was ashamed of himself. We had always been friends. He told me that some of the men were betting that I would strike back, so they decided to test me. There were other times when they tried out my faith by betting with each other. It made me feel quite small."

"Soon after I was at the first honor camp, a homosexual approached me. I had already been given warnings. At times I hardly knew what to do but each time they would leave me alone. From then on I learned to listen them out, and I was more careful. There were some who said they would protect me if I got in trouble. They threatened to beat up anybody who would molest me.
One of my brothers also served his time in prison. He has had a lot of experiences that cannot be valued in money. The experiences are not pleasing to human nature at the time. But if the trials are met in a righteous way, it can be rewarding and help us toward our goal for a heavenly home in eternity."

"The responsibility is upon us to lay a solid foundation of faith for the future generation. To do that, we will have to lead a life in which God can help us."

No comments: