Friday, February 15, 2008

Snapshots

I am working on a few different entries, but none are really done yet. So, here are some glimpses into events from my life over the last few weeks.

I got to see and hear Frederick Buechner a few weeks back. He was at King College inaugurating the Buechner Institute. His use of words and hyperbole entertained me while challenging me. At one point he mentioned the Hebrew word “davar” which means “word” or “thing.” His implication was that the words we speak inherently have an impact on our listeners.

I said goodbye to one of the students from my youth ministry. His parents shipped him off to Job Corps in Kentucky in the hopes that he would learn a trade. Though, in my opinion, he was not a “problem child” they treated him as such. I can only hope that my words and actions helped prepare him for the many challenges he will face in the upcoming weeks and months.

Eli Manning, who was criticized all season for not being enough of a vocal leader, let his actions do the talking as he scampered away from 300-pound linemen to complete pass after pass on the game winning drive in the Super Bowl. I guess one can lead without the charisma of Tom Brady or the “other” Manning.

Our Ash Wednesday service reminded me of the simplicity of the early church. No bands, special effects, eye catching graphics and videos, or other attention grabbers. Just candlelight, simple songs, Scripture, prayers, and a community. I received far more compliments and words of appreciation from this service than all the Sunday services I plan put together. Maybe there is something to this “Ancient-Future” thing.

This summer I am hoping to head to a monastery for a time of preparation before entering my Doctoral work. If you have any insight, advice, recommendations of locations, or would like to join me, let me know. This is something I have wanted to do for quite a while, and Carrie and I have made the decision to go ahead and do it.

This past Sunday Carrie and I announced our intended departure from the church/area at the end of the summer. It was far more emotional for me than I thought it would be. I guess I never realized how much I cared for these people. I surely know they care for my family. I suppose I let the frustration and disappointment of ministry push out the great joy and love that is right before me. As the saying goes, “You don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone.”

1 comment:

Regan Clem said...

Not really a monastery in the traditional sense, but a community experience of sorts.

http://www.northumbriacommunity.org/WhatsOnAtNetherSprings/index.html

I have wanted to go there, but have not taken the time or the money. I doubt I could say that I would go along with you this year if you went although I would be interested.