Wednesday, January 30, 2008

My Father's business

I did not understand why my mom was so angry? She had worked so hard to raise me to be a zealous follower of Jesus, and that I was.

I was studying my Bible far more than any of my school books. I was leading in my church youth group. I was leading Bible studies in my school, writings articles about my faith for the school paper, and bringing the good news of Jesus to just about anyone who would listen.

So when I rolled in at 1:30 am, I could not grasp her indignation? "Where have you been!?!"

"We were at the Ram's horn and I was witnessing to them about Jesus. How can you be mad at me? I was about my Father's business."

She claims I said that last part. I doubt it, but that was certainly the tone. I felt that her rebuke was a sign that she did not care as much about the Jesus as I did.

What she should have done, I guess, is turn to Luke 2 where Jesus speaks those words. Because right after he says that, we are told that he obeyed his parents. If God could humble himself to obey his mom and dad, I certainly should have too.

In fact, I think I'm going to go home and show this to my kids right now.

No comments: