Monday, December 3, 2007

Mental Gymnastics - I am an Olympic Gymnast

I am a gymnast. I like to think that I am one of the best. I know everything there is about gymnastics. I have studied it all. From knowing the proper placements of all the mats to the proper methods for the floor routine. I am a gymnast.

The other day I was doing what I love to do. I watching some gymnastics, eating some Lays, and a lot of Red Bull (used to be Pepsi). Eating Lays always reminds me of Nadia's great floor routine in '76. Lays has become an essential part of my gymnastics routine because they are linked with so many of my great gymnastic memories. My doctor told me to cut back or quit because of my diabetes, but I told her that it is an essential part of my gymnastics routine. How could I expect to be the best gymnast in the world if I gave up my Lays and Red Bull?

It has also been a little more difficult lately. After the removal of my toes and the pain of the cold in my house, it just has not been the same. I have trouble getting around like I used to, but then I just think of Mary Lou in '84 and I immediately have the spring back in my step. Well, at least for the arduous journey to the bathroom and back. That is about all of the walking I do any more. I am an excellent gymnast.

Winter is coming and I just have not been able to winterize my house. Some times my television gets frosted over because it is so cold. It brings back memories of figure skating in the Olympics (an inferior sport), but then I have to call my neighbor over to help wipe it off. When I see my neighbor wiping off the frost on my television I reminded of the great American team performance in '96.

I am a great gymnast.

9 comments:

shannoncaroland said...

I remember when we brought Eli home for the first time. I didn't sleep for weeks. I became completely incapable of stringing together coherent thoughts.

How is she doing?

Anonymous said...

Inferior sport!?! I'd like to see you triple salchow on a bum knee!

Regan Clem said...

Everyone is doing fine.

You think my thoughts were inchoherent?

shannoncaroland said...

Maybe, I just didn't get what it was supposed to be.

Regan Clem said...

It was an expression of how we cannot just be mental Christians. It is fairly obvious that you cannot be a mental gymnast because gymnastics is a physical endeavor. The same is true about Christianity. Too often we find ourselves thinking we are good Christians because we have proper Christian knowledge and thoughts, when in actuality, we are only Christians when we live it out.

We cannot be an 500 lb. diabetic gymnast, nor can we be a pew sitting Christian.

Anonymous said...

I'll have to think about that.
BAZ

Regan Clem said...

Let me know what you think. We have not had a good disagreement since the fall of GLCCalumni.

shannoncaroland said...

Oh, I like it then. I just did not know where you were going.

Sam said...

I too liked it after the explanation (though I kind of assumed that was where you were going). However, it was one of the stranger entries we have had here.