Thursday, July 5, 2007

How I spent “Independence Day”

I am by no means a patriot. I don’t celebrate the 4th of July. I don’t sing the “Star Spangled Banner.” I won’t say the Pledge of Allegiance. My major affiliation with this nation comes by virtue of my being a resident – born and raised. At the same time, I do not wish any ill upon this country. I have heard some Christians calling for God’s judgment against America because of immorality while others seem to hate America to the point of encouraging terrorism. I am in neither camp. In addition, I am also uncomfortable whenever I see Christianity and Nationalism mixed. This syncretistic viewpoint can be seen the American flag hanging in places of worship, by singing country praising songs in worship services, in church billboards that cite praying for our nation as a test of one’s allegiance to God and in bumper stickers that seemingly demand that God “Bless our nation”. And if you ask some, they would say these things are normative for good Christians.

I, however, do not combine nationalism with religion. My being an American has little to be celebrated. As a result, I did not observe 4th of July dwelling on the glory of freedom and our superiority over other nations. In fact, we had youth group last night and I did a lesson focusing on loving enemies, even enemies of the State. I referred specifically to Osama Bin Laden, but I am sure there are other enemies that could be named. So, instead of glorying in America, I prayed for those, regardless of nationality or religion, who would wish others harm. After all, these are Jesus’ commands on the way to deal with enemies and persecutors (Matthew 5:44). Not by disparaging them with racial or religious slurs. Not by bombing or shooting them. And definitely not by hating them.

Is such an attitude “un-American”? Probably. But for me it is not about piling on Bush. Rather, it is about living as an alien in a strange land who has allegiance to another kingdom.

3 comments:

Regan Clem said...

Good thoughts.

One of my biggest problems with patriotism married with Christianity is what do you do when you find yourself from another nation or living in another nation. Are you still under a "Christian" obligation to be loyal to that state or is it just to "American ideals"?

mindbender said...

I just like the fireworks.

Sam said...

We had a killer fireworks display after the youth group lesson because I like them too. All bright and shiny and fizzly.