Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Shack

Okay,I just finished 'The Shack'. I don't want to give a full review. I just want to share a few thoughts.

As over-exposed as it is, the story behind the book might be the best part of it. It inspires me to want to write for smaller closer audiences. What a gift he gave his kids.

It is not as bad as you have heard, nor is it the best book ever written.

As with any book that tries to give theological answers about God that are not overtly stated in Scripture, it was at times annoying, for me anyway. Nothing horrible. The idea that God adamantly against us thinking we have responsibility was more than a little odd.

Every time the main character was shocked by the deep truths God was revealing made me laugh. These are the authors thoughts, and he thinks awe is the most natural reaction to them. I'm not knocking him. That's just one dilemma of writing words into God's mouth. If a man were not awed by God's words, then it wouldn't be God. But how do you come up with such words?

I think the book is cathartic. It was interesting (with the possible exception of the middle where it becomes all dialogue with no action for a while). It will make you think. It's worth the read for anyone who can remember that the book does not pretend to be anything more than fiction. And for that reason, I might not recommend it to everyone.

No comments: