Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A Despicable Church Sign

A church sign made it on the Ft. Wayne news last night. I drive by this church every day I go to work. They usually have pretty judgmental signs that make me chuckle, but this one has drawn the media limelight. The sad thing is that they probably think they are doing God's will by putting this out there.



First, they just add to the stereotype of ignorant Christians. There are also people in my church who also believe that he is. The record is pretty clear; Obama is not a Muslim. How people can believe he is is a step of mental gymnastics that I have yet to learn. He is as much of a Muslim as I am a Jehovah Witness; my parents were Witnesses until I was in the second grade.

Second, even if he is a Muslim, that would not discredit him from being President. I would prefer a righteous Muslim over a Christian in name only to be my leader. Colin Powell summed it up best when he said:
I'm also troubled by, not what Sen. McCain says, but what members of the party say. And it is permitted to be said, such things as, "Well, you that know Mr. Obama is a Muslim." Well, the correct answer is, he is not a Muslim, he's a Christian. He's always been a Christian. But the really right answer is: What if he is? Is there something wrong with being a Muslim in this country? The answer's no, that's not America. Is there something wrong with some 7-year-old Muslim American kid believing that he or she could be president? Yet I have heard senior members of my own party drop the suggestion, "He's a Muslim and he might be associated with terrorists." This is not the way we should be doing it in America.

Unlike Powell, I am not really disturbed by Republicans behaving that way. I am disturbed by fellow Christians. I would call the church and talk to them about it if I thought it would do any good.

7 comments:

mindbender said...

I've actually run into this at the church we've been attending. Not from the staff or anything, but just in casual conversation with a few of the members.

I still don't have a satisfactory response to it. The seeming hate that is behind it pains my soul. All I can think to do is pray for them.

Troy said...

Regan,
Let it go. We attended this church for a while and you would get nowhere with the minister. He may try to cast a demon out of you, though. Ask me about that story sometime. It's a hoot.

shannoncaroland said...

I love when a guy holding a pig says, "It's a hoot." Great stuff!

Regan Clem said...

I would love to hear the story some time. If you guys get back in the area some time, let us know and we will have you over for dinner.

Barry said...

It's a good question on the sign. You're just saying we don't have a Muslim running. I'm more afraid of having the type of Christian Obama seems to be from his church background.

Michael said...

I think fear is the whole problem.

Barry said...

Fear is the whole problem? How so? Realizing by "fear" I'm not meaning being scared but more a sense of concern.