Monday, May 28, 2007

Milestones Cause Us To Change

I turn thirty years old tomorrow. This milestone has caused me to evaluate my life, and it looks like big changes will follow. I feel like I need to change and start doing what I want to do, or I will never be able to do it. At thirty, it seems like I am almost out of time.

Now, that might be irrational. Thirty is not really all that old, but there are times and events in our life that cause us to reevaluate the path we are on. This happens whether those milestones or events are rational or not. Some people label this feeling depression and decide to medicate the feeling away which causes them to miss the greatness that awaits them. Others just ignore it and lumber on through their life like a zombie. As I age, I do not want to feel like I missed an opportunity. I want to experience life to the fullest, so I am going to take my thoughts to heart, grab them by the horn, and hop on for the ride.

It troubles me that I waited to hit this milestone to start to pursue what I want to do. I wish I would have started earlier.

Every morning that we wake up, we can choose to change if needed. Today we can start to be who we need to be. I am hesitant to say we can be who God wants us to be because many of the issues in our lives are not directly spiritual, but we should make changes if we know God wants us to be something we are not. I would like to think the change I will make is God-directed. I have bathed it in prayer, but I cannot be sure; however, I am sure that we do not have to waste another day lumbering along if we feel that there is something else we need to be. Why wait any longer to change? Today is the day.

No comments: